Karma's When I Feel Like It Blog

July 28, 2011

Stuck in a Whirlwind

I’ve had better weeks.  I try not to use this blog space to complain, but please forgive me as I vent a bit about what happened to me over the past few days.

On Monday, the dreadful heatwave that had plagued most of the country had finally broken in this area, so I decided it was time to finally get out and mow the lawn.  I was trying to get it done quickly as it appeared that rain was eminent.  I was nearly finished when zap,zap,zap, OUCH!!!!  I had run over a yellow jackets’ nest in the ground and gotten stung several times in my hand and elbow.  I ran, swearing like sailor, into to the house to run them under cold water and make up the paste of baking soda and water to salve the stings.  To add to my indignity, upon sitting down to catch my breath for a moment, I discovered one yellow jacket had made the trip inside with me…in my shorts!  I was stung an additional three times you-know-where!

Tuesday dawns bright and sunny, comfortable temperatures.  Just a few errands in the plans for the day: Sarah having a friend over for a sleepover, getting my haircut, driving Meghan to and from the library where she was volunteering to help with a children’s art project.  It was the first time I had seen my hairdresser since the tornado on June 1st, so we were chatting about where we were and what happened.  Sadly her house sustained some damage.  We commented on what a nice pleasant day we were having that day.  I left the hairdresser’s and drove to the library to pick up Meghan.  I browsed books while Meghan finished up and noticed the darkening skies.  I hadn’t heard any thunderstorm warnings that day, but I had been busy puttering and cleaning and going about my business.  A huge clap of thunder rumbled outside and I could hear the screams of a few shocked children.  Meghan came out of the room where she had been working and I remarked we should try to get home before the storm opens up.  We live about 5 minutes from the town library, so I thought no problem.  It was gently sprinkling as we walked out to my car.

As I turned off Main St. to Springfield St, the skies opened up.  Torrential downpours and marble sized hail pelted my car.  Visibility quickly reduced to virtually nothing.  I saw blurry tail lights of the cars in front of me, and then nothing but a gray sheet of water across my windshield as traffic came to a standstill.  At that moment, a tree fell directly in front of my car, grazing the hood and grill as it went down, and another fell directly behind my car, tapping the bumper.  We were trapped.

I started trying to make phone calls.  Tried my husband first.  Couldn’t get through right away.  I tried 911; nobody answered.  I called directory assistance to get my local police department’s alternate number.  They told me to stay put in my car, they were getting dozens of calls and would do their best to get to us.  Hubby got through, told him what had happened, but by that time there was no way for him to get to us.  We were stuck in a triangle of streets that had all been blocked by trees and downed telephone poles in a matter of minutes.

And so we sat in the car and waited, not knowing what to do.  Were there downed wires? Was it safe to get out of the car?  Were more trees going to fall? Was it safe to stay in the car?  I opened my car door several times trying to  look around in the driving rain to determine what the dangers might be but I couldn’t make a decision.

When the rain finally let up somewhat, another trapped motorist stopped to check on us.  He told me there was another tree dangling perilously close to the roof of my car and that we’d better get out.

This is what my car looked like when we got out:

It was still drizzling at the time, and another family invited us to sit in their car with them while we waited for the firemen to try to get to our area.  I thanked them and sat for a while, now soaked to the skin.  Feeling restless, I got out of the car and walked around a bit, wondering exactly what our situation was.  Other people were out doing the same.  There were about half a dozen cars trapped in the same general area with us.  Finally, we heard the chainsaws of the fire department on one side of the fallen trees.  Four firemen came through to check on people and assess damage.

They confirmed what I suspected.  We were really stuck.  There was no where for the cars to go.  Trees had fallen in all three possible directions of travel (for any locals who could be reading this, I was stuck on Springfield Street at the intersection of Faculty St.).  I’d been in contact with my husband who had been offering to drive as far as he could and then hike to trade places with me, so that he would wait with the car and I could take his truck home.  I didn’t like the idea not knowing what the situation was like beyond my immediate area, fearing he would end up stuck somewhere and leave my younger daughter and her friend home completely alone.

After we’d be stuck waiting for over 2 1/2 hours trying figure out if a way would be cleared that evening, I made a decision after talking to a fireman.  I asked if it was possible to get to our town hall on foot, which I knew was only a few hundred yards away, and according to my husband the road was clear at that point.  The fireman said yes, as long as you were careful to walk on the edge of people’s yards and stay away from downed wires.  I called my husband and asked him to pick us up at town hall and Meghan and I made a wary trek under and around fallen trees and telephone poles.  My poor car was abandoned for the night.

After trying multiple times to get back to my car the next day, we finally made it back and hubby tried to assess the damage.  The grill was cracked and the radiator appeared punctured.  The car started but the temperature soared quickly as I drove it to our local autobody, where it now sits awaiting an insurance adjuster.

Meghan and I are fine.  Maybe a bit shaken up, but no damage to us!  I wish I could say the same for my garden.  The driving hail made the garden appear as though someone attacked it with a machine gun:


Some of the veggies are even scarred:


My geranium which recently looked like this:

now looks like this:

My yard is loaded with fallen branches, hail-shredded leaves and a lawn flattened by the small lake that passed through, but with the exception of my car, we sustained no damage.  Meghan and I are feeling very lucky and thankful considering how close to being hurt we really came.

Rumors of another tornado hitting this area are unconfirmed; funnel clouds were reported but official weather-type people are yet to determine if there was touchdown.  Strong thunderstorms with hail and 50 mph winds were confirmed.  I don’t know what the whirlwind I was stuck in the middle of was actually called; it doesn’t really matter, it was scary as hell!

Power was out again for about 30 hours.  It happily came back on last night.  I will be dealing with the task of figuring out which food in the fridge is still good and what has gone bad.

As I said, I’ve had better weeks.  I’m hoping it is going to get better soon.  This weekend I will be attending Big Summer Potluck 2011.  It is an east coast food blogger event, for which I am tagging along with my sister.  We are leaving tomorrow morning, so this will likely be my last blog post until Sunday evening at the earliest.  I hope your week was better than mine and that a wonderful weekend is on tap for us all!  (Thanks for letting me vent!)



  1. Glad you and your family made it through relatively unharmed. This has been such a crazy weather year!! Sorry about your car and your plants but remember one can be fixed and the other is pretty resilient – they’ll be back!! I hope you have a lovely weekend to make up for Tuesday!!

    Comment by mylifeincny — July 28, 2011 @ 10:05 am | Reply

  2. Oh my!! I’m very glad that you all came through this with the family unhurt. I certainly hope that things improve for you this week. I can relate to the yellow acket incident. I ran over a nest last year and got stung on the neck and back.

    Comment by tedgriffith — July 28, 2011 @ 10:47 am | Reply

  3. You certainly have been through enough!! You have every right to vent! I hope this is the end of the trouble, and I’ll be sending my good vibes your way so everything is smooth sailing from here on out!! 🙂

    Comment by Photo By Holly — July 28, 2011 @ 11:32 am | Reply

  4. Oh my goodness…you have had a terrible week! You can whine here anytime! I’m all ears.
    Thank God you are all fine…I would say your Guardian Angels were right there with you working overtime during that storm. I hope the rest of the summer passes uneventfully for you! (Sorry about your poor beautiful plants.) 😦

    Comment by kanniduba — July 28, 2011 @ 12:22 pm | Reply

  5. I don’t want to think about what could have happened. I’m soooo glad you guys are ok. XOXO

    Comment by renae — July 28, 2011 @ 12:57 pm | Reply

  6. Wow, what a week! I’m so glad that no one is hurt! {hugs}
    Have fun this week-end!

    Comment by thedailyclick — July 29, 2011 @ 6:28 am | Reply

  7. Awww….that sounded terrifying! Glad you got out relatively unscathed. But still….how scary and how annoying all at once. Your pretty garden will come back…and they’ll fix the car. Go enjoy the weekend and here’s hoping for an uneventful week to come!

    Comment by Dawn — July 29, 2011 @ 7:04 am | Reply

  8. The pictures of the car are sooooooo scarey! I can’t believe my girls were in there. Yes, I’m with Renae…I can’t think about what could have happened. The garden does look shot up!

    Comment by Patricia Dinsmore — July 29, 2011 @ 7:34 am | Reply

  9. Oh, man! What a terrible time you’ve had! Once again, we had just left the house when the storm struck. We were in W. Springfield hearing reports of tornadoes in town. And, once again, texting came in handy when I texted my neighbor to find out things were okay at our house. I’m so glad that you are all okay and a tree didn’t fall on your car. I can only imagine the fear you were feeling. I was stung last week and a mature woman told me that it was good for the system, aches and pains after the initial pain. I’m so sorry for you garden. I know how defeating that is. 😦

    Comment by Rebecca — July 29, 2011 @ 7:46 am | Reply

  10. Thank you everyone for the kind thoughts; no time to respond individually to you all today as I will be getting ready to leave for the weekend very soon, but as always, I do appreciate everyone taking the time to me a comment.

    Comment by Karma — July 29, 2011 @ 8:52 am | Reply

  11. Oh Karen I am SO glad you are safe! What a shocking turn of events. What a summer this has been. I have chills right now, thinking how devestating it might have been if one of the trees hit your car. Girlfriend, I think I would look at it as a LUCKY day! Many joys for your safety…and have a good weekend. A relaxing one, if possible.

    Comment by Kathy — July 29, 2011 @ 11:00 am | Reply

  12. I think a weekend away will do you good. Have fun and try and put the day’s events behind you. Though your car is going to remind you of it in the near future. 😦 Glad you and your daughter are safe and that we live in a world where a weather damaged garden is not something to worry about. Take care!

    Comment by Scott Thomas Photography — July 29, 2011 @ 2:07 pm | Reply

  13. What a story Karen, glad that you and Meghan are both ok, and I hope you have a great weekend.

    Comment by Sherry — July 29, 2011 @ 8:17 pm | Reply

  14. C´est terrible, Karen ! Quels moments vous avez vécus et quelle chance d´échapper á un accident grave. Je suis heureuse que les éléments naturels se soient calmés. Passe un super-weekend sur la côte Est 🙂 Pauvre jardin 😦

    Comment by isathreadsoflife — July 30, 2011 @ 6:53 am | Reply

  15. That kind of week calls for wine. A lot of it. The storm would have done me in, I think – trees falling in front of and behind the car like they did yours would have been heart attack inducing. I hope August is a month that is very kind to you. And your garden.

    Comment by Carol — July 30, 2011 @ 10:24 am | Reply

  16. OMG!!! THAT is about as a close call as one gets! SO GLAD you are okay!

    Ouch! How many stings did you end up with?? I can’t believe you weren’t in more pain from them! I suffered for days with the one in my palm last summer. I don’t ever want to experience that kind of burning pain EVER again!

    Sad about the garden. 😦 This summer certainly has been unkind to our landscapes! I’ve given up on some things but looking forward to picking tomatoes (hopefully) soon. The pickling cukes, snowpeas and various lettuces have already been so yummy!

    I hope the weekend provides you with much rest and relaxation. You DEFINITELY deserve it.

    Comment by milkayphoto — July 31, 2011 @ 10:37 am | Reply

    • I’m guessing it was about 7 stings Tracy: one in my hand, I think 3 in my elbow (can’t quite see it) and 3 in my derriere! They hurt and ached all day Monday and were itchy for days afterward. I can see the hole in my hand quite clearly still today!

      Comment by Karma — August 1, 2011 @ 9:52 am | Reply

  17. Ho-ly Wah. I’m with you–who cares what the storm’s name is? Other than wanting to curse it properly. I suppose we can’t discount the value of that.

    And wasps too? And a 30-hour power outage? What’s next? Raining frogs?

    I hope you had one heckuva good time at the food bloggers confab.

    Comment by Gerry — July 31, 2011 @ 8:58 pm | Reply

    • Believe me Gerry, I was asking myself all last week what was next!

      Comment by Karma — August 1, 2011 @ 9:54 am | Reply

  18. Again, thanks to everyone who commented over the weekend. My car has been appraised and it was determined that I have $5000 worth of damage to my car, mostly dent damage from trees and hail, plus a hole in my radiator punched through by a branch.
    My weekend was an experience like none I’ve ever had, and I will be writing about it after I try to get caught up with all of you!

    Comment by Karma — August 1, 2011 @ 10:00 am | Reply

  19. Oh my gosh! What a turn of events! I am so glad you and your daughter came out of that mess unhurt.

    Comment by Robin — August 1, 2011 @ 7:37 pm | Reply

  20. […] done a number on my plants.  In addition to the damage done to my veggie garden that I showed you in this post, my hanging baskets of flowers are not looking very healthy either .  Sadly I will not have lots […]

    Pingback by Flowers of Linden Hill « Karma's When I Feel Like It Blog — August 3, 2011 @ 8:39 pm | Reply

  21. […] today while I still have power!  What a summer it has been around here: first a tornado, then a microburst, an earthquake on Wednesday (though I did not feel it), and now Hurricane Irene is projected to hit […]

    Pingback by Rainbow of Summer… in Maine « Karma's When I Feel Like It Blog — August 26, 2011 @ 10:03 am | Reply

  22. […] I do believe in Karma afterall – maybe we got to be the lucky ones because Meghan and I were scared within inches of our lives in July. Early reports are saying the damage to this area is more severe and more widespread than […]

    Pingback by I’m Back! « Karma's When I Feel Like It Blog — November 3, 2011 @ 8:44 pm | Reply

  23. […] entrance with my lawn mower and piss them off, then I get stung! I wrote about it happening for the first time here. Last year I had one stuck in my hair and got zapped on my head over and over again. Had a nasty […]

    Pingback by Ouch | Karma's When I Feel Like It Blog — July 13, 2014 @ 5:26 pm | Reply

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Say hello! Tell me your thoughts! I'd love to read them!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: